Undergraduate Withdrawing Student Checklist

Before Withdrawing:

Open All Tabs

To Withdraw:

Open All Tabs
  • Meet with a ’Cane Success Center advisor

    To officially withdraw from the University of Miami, undergraduate students are required to meet with an advisor in the ’Cane Success Center. Virtual appointments are available Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    Your withdrawal will not be final until you contact a ’Cane Success Center advisor.

After Withdrawing:

Open All Tabs
  • Contact 'Canes Central for help with Student Account Services

    'Canes Central can be reached at 305-284-IBIS (4247), or visit their office located on the first-floor of the new Student Services Building, which will be situated behind the Lowe Art Museum and across the canal from the Miami Herbert Business School on the Coral Gables campus.

    1. Update any financial aid or grant information with the federal and state government.
    2. Finalize your refund or balance due.
    3. If you have loans, you will have to complete your Exit Counseling; a federal on-line module that explains the responsibilities of the loan recipient at studentloans.gov.
    4. For any possible refunds, consider enrolling in direct deposit. Only U.S. banks apply. Visit miami.edu/enrolldirectdeposit.


  • Cancel your Housing Contract

    To cancel your housing agreement, log onto the Housing Portal via CaneLink. The cancellation request form will be an option in the forms section for you to submit your intentions. 

    Students who withdraw that are on campus already are typically provided 48 hours to move out all their items and complete a proper check out from their living space. If there are any questions about the cancellation or check-out process, call 305-284-4505 to speak with a housing assignment representative or email housing@miami.edu. Additional information is available at miami.edu/housing.

  • Cancel your dining meal plan

    To cancel your meal plan, contact the Auxiliary and Dining Services department via email at diningservices@miami.edu or call them at 305-284-3584.

  • International Students on F-1 or J-1 status need to notify the International Student and Scholar Services Office.

    To contact the ISS department call 305-284-2928 or email isss@miami.edu. Please note the following when will take effect after you withdraw:

    1. Your SEVIS record will be terminated (F-1) or shortened (J-1) upon withdrawal.
    2. Your I-20 or DS-2019 Form and F-1 or J-1 visa will no longer be valid.
    3. To enter the United States in F-1 or J-1 status to resume your studies, follow the steps at isss.miami.edu/i20steps.

  • Review your University health insurance options

    Withdrawing from the University may have an impact on your University health care coverage. Please call 305-284-5921 or email studenthealth@miami.edu for further assistance.

  • Cancel your UM Parking Permit

    A complete withdrawal requires that you cancel your parking permit. To request a refund on a prorated basis, email parking.gables@miami.edu.

    If you have questions or concerns, contact the Parking and Transportation Services Department located at the McKnight Building, 5807 Ponce De Leon Blvd, Suite 100, or call 305-284-3096, option 2.

  • Update your permanent address on your CaneLink

    For any refunds, transcript requests, or other documents, it is important that your contact information is correct, including your permanent address, email address, and contact numbers.

  • Order an Official Transcript

    Call 847-716-3005 or visit the “Student Services” section of your CaneLink account to order a transcript online.

    IMPORTANT If you have a balance due, an official transcript will not be available until the balance is paid in full and/or any holds have been lifted from your CaneLink account.

Appealing Your Withdrawl

Open All Tabs
  • If you need to appeal your withdrawal date

    If you have extraordinary circumstances, such as medical or health issues, that prevented you from notifying the University of your withdrawal in a timely manner, you can submit a Withdrawal Date Appeal* Form to an Appeals Committee for consideration. Complete and submit your appeal form online at miami.edu/withdrawalappeal. All appeals and supporting documentation must be submitted online within 30 calendar days of the official withdrawal date established with the ‘Cane Success Center or within 30 calendar days of the end of the semester in question if an official withdrawal did not yet occur.

    *Withdrawal Date Appeals are for institutional purposes only and will not affect the date reported to student loan providers for purposes of calculating a student’s grace period and interest rate for repayment.